Located under the Smrekovec Volcano on the edge of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps, it is known for its log diving history, the Log Diving Ball and FIS Women’s World Cup Ski Jumping championships.
From its log diving roots to today’s fishermen and top female ski jumpers
On the edge of the Alpine foothills, on the river Savinja lies the village of Ljubno ob Savinji, where a timber store once flourished. A few years after the Second World War, Ljubno was the starting station for log diving along the Savinja River. In modern times log diving has been replaced by fishing which is increasing in popularity by more and more guests who are excited about this peaceful corner of Savinja.
Sights and tourist spots in Ljubno:
- Log Divers’ collection, get to know the life and work of log divers throughout history;
- admire the karst zones, the overhanging cliffs and mountain eagles in the area of the Tirske peči;
- Radmir’s treasury has a collection of gifts from the Austrian, Polish, French and Neapolitan dynasties, from cloaks to golden chalices and other exceptional artworks;
- Preužitkarska hiša, a monument to generational relations in a rural environment;
- Church of St. Jakob on the hill above the village of Okonina, first mentioned 1455;
- Annual FIS Woman’s Ski Jumping World Cup.
Experiences in Ljubno:
- a hike to Smrekovec, the only extinct volcano in Slovenia, it will surprise you with a beautiful view of the Savinjska & Šaleška valley;
- refresh yourself during summer, come rafting on the Savinja river;
- fishing on Savinja river;
- culinary delights and workshops on tourist farms;
- modern culinary specialties at Hotel Planinka
Events in Ljubno ob Savinji:
- Log Diver’s Ball, a traditional ethnological event featuring log diving along the Savinja river;
- Flosfest, a fun summer multi-day event with concerts and events;
- FIS World Cup in ski jumping for women;
- Palm Sunday marked by unique Ljubenske potice.
Ljubno from Air
Tourist information – Ljubno ob Savinji
SI – 3333 Ljubno ob Savinji
t: +386 838 14 92