Solčava is small alpine village that is located far from the big cities, at the doorstep of two-thousanders peaks of Kamnik-Savinja Alps. It is the central settlement of the Solčavsko, which, in order to maintain exceptional natural resources, received the title European Destination of Excellence (EDEN) in 2009.
On the paths of Jezersko-Solčavska Sheep and Solčava mountain wood
The expanded settlement of Solčava is a world among the mountains with a preserved regional distinctiveness. This is a home to hardworking happy people, who have, for centuries preserved the original connection between man and nature. Various products are created from autochthonous Jezersko-Solčavska Sheep and Solčava mountain wood.
Sustainable development and preservation of heritage
Take some time and stop at the Center Rinka where you can see carefully crafted domestic products and take a look the permanent exhibition Solčavsko – a walk in the lap of the Alps. Nearby there is the church of St. Marry, the only fully preserved Gothic church in the Upper Savinja Valley.
Preserving the heritage and nature deserves special respect in Solčava. Landscape parks Logarska Valley and Robanov kot are protected areas of Natura 2000 constituting more than 80% territory of Solčava’s municipality.
Sights and popular tourist spots in Solčava:
- Solčava panoramic road, by bicycle or on foot for the best views of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps;
- visit the Logarska Valley Nature Park and the Rinka Falls;
- Take a walk in the Robanov kot landscape park and taste homemade spirits with sour milk;
- learn about the healing power of herbs in Fidov gaj park;
- Solčavska tisa (Solčava’s Yew Tree), one of the oldest trees in Slovenia;
- discover the secrets described by Potočka zijalka, former residence of the cave bear and ice hunter;
- experience various stories with your family in the magical Fairy-tale forest in Logarska Valley.
Experiences in Solčava:
- Fed your body and soul on mountain tours of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps;
- Learn first archery skills at the Gradišnik farm;
- Enjoy homemade delicacies from tourist farms, among which the Zgornjesavinjski želodec dried meats delicacy is not to be missed;
- Test your skills and power in the ethno games based on local cultural heritage;
- During winter try cross-country skiing, alpinism, sledding, ice climbing
Traditional events in Solčava:
- Mountain wood days;
- Hiking Festival in the Kamnik-Savinja Alps;
- Hike during the full moon along the Solčava Panoramic Road;
- Solčava’s Days, days of tourism in Solčava;
- Chainsaw party, featuring chainsaw sculptures;
- BICKA, learn how sheep wool products are produced;
- December events (outdoor concerts, night with torches).
Panoramic View of Solčava:
Logar Valley, Solčava from the Air
Tourist information – Solčava:
TIC Solčava – Center Rinka
t: +386 3 839 07 10