Velenje Castle, first mentioned in 1270, is the best-preserved Renaissance castle in Slovenia.
Velenje Castle the Pulse of the Šalek Valley
Among the more than 20 castles and manors built in the Šalek Valley, Velenje Castle stands out the most, proudly rising above the city center. The foundations of the castle were laid in the 13th century, and the castle has maintained its appearance from the 16th to the 18th century when an internal arcaded courtyard and picturesque fortification were added to the castle, offering a breathtaking view of the young city of Velenje. If you wish to see the other castles of the Šalek Valley, the Pozojev Castle trail through the Šalek Valley will impress you.
Experiences and exhibitions at Velenje Castle
At Velenje Castle, in front of which a charming park flourishes, you can view permanent exhibitions about the history of Velenje:
- Mastodons, a presentation of prehistoric findings of two types of mastodons that once roamed the Šalek Valley;
- Africa, a collection of interesting African items, among which African masks and dolls are especially valuable;
- Between Romanesque and Baroque, explore the Šalek Valley from its first written mentions until the end of the 17th century;
- Old shop, look at the original furniture from 1930;
- The city they called a miracle, a story about the creation of modern Velenje, which grew from a small, rural market into a modern, modern city, the so-called “socialist miracle”;
- Old inn;
- Permanent exhibition of the sculptor Ciril Cesar;
- Permanent collection of contemporary Slovenian art;
- Castle chapel;
- Šalek Valley 1941—1945;
- Majda Kurnik 1920—1967;
- Fran Korun Koželjski;
- Master of Photography Volbenk Pajk.
Velenje Castle also offers social events:
- birthday celebrations for children,
- renting space for events,
- weddings at Velenje Castle.
- Virtual Tour of Velenje Castle
Enjoy a virtual walk among the gems of the Velenje Museum.VELJE CASTLE - VIRTUAL VISIT ➜
Explore the treasure chest of the Velenje Museum
In addition to Velenje Castle, you can also visit other attractions and units under the auspices of the Velenje Museum.
- The Slovenian Leather Museum represents the tradition of leathermaking in Šoštanj and Slovenia.
- The House of Minerals, a geological collection of over 4,000 different minerals from the world and Slovenia.
- Kavčnik’s homestead, an outdoor folk architecture museum, the southernmost preserved Alpine smokehouse in Slovenia.
- Gril’s homestead, an old vineyard transformed into an eco-museum on the former vine-growing slope, has a rich herb and vegetable garden with an orchard.
- Memory room in Topolšica, the room where World War II ended for the Slovenes.
- Memorial Park XIV. Division;
- FBUNKER Gallery, audio-visual creativity.
- 1991 Memorial Center, the history of the area in the light of the independence of the Republic of Slovenia.